Unable to link Terminal to macport

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Sep 20 17:58:29 PDT 2008

Mine wrote:
> The first time I installed macports OSX 10.4.11,  II was able to
> download and install applications. Now that I have relaunched
> Terminal a few days later, I don't know have to relink the Terminal
> to macports. if  I type sudo port selfupdate, I get the following error:
>
> sudo: port: command not found
>
> The documentation mentions a ~/.profile. Is this a file I can open
> and edit, because I can't find it.

See <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#a.profilenotsetup>

Files starting with a dot are not visible in Finder. If you want to edit
such a file, open it from a terminal, like 'open -e ~/.profile'. But
this does not work if the file does not yet exist, in this case create
it using 'touch ~/.profile' before.

Also look if you got a .bash_profile file. If it exists, bash will not
read .profile anymore. Simply copy the relevant lines from .profile to
.bash_profile.

Rainer