arpwatch

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 25 18:49:43 PDT 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 19:46, Mark Hattam wrote:

> Is there something amiss with my MacPorts system?

Not that I know of.

> I did a
>
> sudo port install arpwatch
>
> and it installed arpwatch into /opt/local/sbin ... just the
> executable, no directory.

On my system, it installs these binaries:

   ${prefix}/sbin/arpsnmp
   ${prefix}/sbin/arpwatch

Not sure why you're getting a single binary called "sbin".

Could you show us the output of "port contents arpwatch"?

> and without making a default (empty) arp.dat and without the
> ethercodes.dat
>
> It also didn't seem to complain about not installing libpcap which
> seems to be a pre-requisite according to all the online documentation
> about arpwatch. But arpwatch does seem to work regardless.

arpwatch does not declare dependencies on any other software. I do
not know if this is correct.

> It would also be helpful to put in how to generate a up-to-date
> ethercodes.dat file, not least as I had to work out how to achieve
> this
> sh massagevendor /opt/local/sbin/oui.txt >/opt/local/sbin/
> ethercodes.dat
> having downloaded the oui.txt from
> http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
>
> (or even generate an up to date ethercodes.dat file as part of the
> port install)

I don't see any tickets filed for arpwatch, so you should probably
file some.