Using sane, tesseract and canoscan lide 60 with Macports

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Sep 29 08:17:48 PDT 2008

I am using an Intel Mac Mini with Leopard's latest updates and have
Macports installed, up-to-date and working. However, I installed
sane-backends,
tesseract, twain-sane and xsane (though I intend to use the command-line)
and can't get scanimage to work with my canoscan lide60. I'm told there
are no sane devices found. I also have a linux box on which I can use
sane with my canoscan lide60, although I get the same errors about no sane
devices being found unless I run scanimage as root. I have tried on my mac
running scanimage as both a normal user and root with no success. Is there
an element missing from the macports system that I would need in order to
do this successfully or have I missed a necessary port? Would the fact
that the Macosx driver for this scanner is loaded be a help or a
hindrance? I am blind and want to scan from the command-line and then use
tesseract to convert the images; I haven't been satisfied with the
alternatives I've found in Macosx itself. If anybody can help me with this
issue it would be much-appreciated.

--
Cheryl