What is MacPorts doing?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 6 02:42:39 PDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 21:36, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> During a sudo port upgrade installed, the following  appeared:
>>>
>>> Error: No port render found.
>>> Error: No port render found.

Some port you have installed was installed when the render port
existed. It has since been superseded by the xorg-renderproto port.
"port dependents render" might tell you what port still has knowledge
of the old render port. "port -nf upgrade thatport" might fix its
dependencies so that it forgets about the render port.

>>> --->  Deactivating spidermonkey @1.7.0_2
>>> --->  Activating spidermonkey @1.7.0_2
>>> --->  Cleaning spidermonkey
>>> --->  Deactivating spidermonkey @1.7.0_2
>>> --->  Activating spidermonkey @1.7.0_2
>>> --->  Cleaning spidermonkey
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea of what is going on.  I had started a
>>> sudo port
>>> -d upgrade installed; but, with all the repeated checks, it takes
>>> forever to run because this occurs towards the end of the
>>> process.  Any
>>> suggestions on a quicker way to find out what is occurring?

[snip]

> 	In any case, what is MacPorts doing at this juncture?

I thought it might be this:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16085

But that was fixed in 1.7.1 which you said you have... So I'm not sure.

It probably has to do with using "port upgrade installed" instead of
"port upgrade outdated". So use the latter in the future.