Gimp 2.6 & Pango 1.8 : no font rendering

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 13 15:45:38 PDT 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 06:46, Luc Dore wrote:

> I need a little bit of assistance.  I decided to install gimp 2.6.6
> yesterday and have no font rendering at all.  all of the gui fonts
> are boxes.

I installed gimp2 to see if I could reproduce your issue. I used Mac
OS X 10.5.6 Intel with Xcode 3.1.2 and MacPorts 1.7.1.

> Pango reports the following when starting gimp:
>
> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not
> provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-
> session.plist is loaded!
> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not
> provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-
> session.plist is loaded!

I get these messages too. Then again, I also have not started dbus,
because I did not feel like starting a system service of unknown
purpose just to run an application. But, you may want to activate dbus.

> Not enough memory

Not sure if this is a harmless consequence of the above or what, but
I got it too.

> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GDEF table 0x6EAD
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 0x6EAD
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6EAD

I've been getting these errors forever, with other pango-using
software. I don't know what to do about it. The latest bug on this is
filed here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19171

> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
> shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande Medium 12',
> text='Looking for data files'
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
> shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande Medium
> 9.9990234375', text='Parasites'
>>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GDEF table 0x6EAD
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GSUB table 0x6EAD
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: Error loading GPOS table 0x6EAD
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
> shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande Semi-Bold
> 9.9990234375', text='Layers'
>
> (gimp:259): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
> shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Grande Medium Oblique
> 9.9990234375', text='Circle (11) (13 × 13)'
>
> This is what I have installed:
>
> sudo port installed cairo pango gtk2 gimp2
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  cairo @1.0.4_0
>  cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx
>  cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx+no_x11
>  cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx+no_x11+quartz (active)
>  cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx+quartz
>  gimp2 @2.6.6_0+darwin_9+no_x11+quartz (active)
>  gtk2 @2.8.17_0+darwin_8
>  gtk2 @2.14.7_2+no_x11+quartz (active)
>  pango @1.12.2_0
>  pango @1.24.0_0+macosx
>  pango @1.24.0_0+macosx+no_x11 (active)
>

> I saw on the issue tracker this very same issue, about a year ago,
> that was resolved with pango 1.6; now I'm a 1.8.6

I initially had trouble installing all of gimp2's dependencies in my
usual MacPorts installation using +no_x11 and +quartz, because I do
not usually use those variants, so my ports had all been installed
with X11 support and without Quartz support, and some ports
apparently do not adequately verify that their dependencies have been
installed with the required variant before proceeding.

I ended up installing a completely new MacPorts installation in a
different prefix to test your issue. It took awhile, but gimp2
eventually built successfully with the +no_x11 and +quartz variants,
and text looks fine. Note that in this instance, I only got the dbus-
session error and the not enough memory error.

I think you are having a similar difficulty to what I experienced
initially, because I see that you have other variants of cairo
installed that do not have Quartz and do have X11 support. If any of
the other ports that you have installed that you did not show above
but which are dependencies of gimp2  were built while cairo with X11
and/or without Quartz support was active, that selection may have
been built into those dependencies.

In particular, you have pango @1.24.0_0+macosx+no_x11 installed,
whereas for compatibility with cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx+no_x11+quartz ,
you must install pango @1.24.0_0+macosx+no_x11+quartz. It should not
have been possible to install pango @1.24.0_0+macosx+no_x11 while
cairo @1.8.6_4+macosx+no_x11+quartz was active; it should have
printed an error message explaining that the +quartz variants must
match between the pango and cairo ports.

If installing the correct pango variants doesn't fix it, you may have
to get as drastic as uninstalling all ports that are dependencies of
gimp2 (even indirect dependencies) and then install again, making
sure to use +no_x11 and +quartz on each of them. You could use port-
rdeps to identify that list of ports. It will be a lot of ports (I
count 169).

http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/port-rdeps/port-rdeps