Git bash completion

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 18 08:07:29 PDT 2009

Martin Gilday wrote:
> I've started using Git on my mac and wondering if the bash completion
> file is out of date for the port?  In screenshots on other system I can
> see more options such as ls-files ls-tree but these do not appear in the
> completion list.  However they do appear on the tab completion for git
> help ls<tab>.

I can confirm that "git ls-<Tab>" does not offer completion for me with
@1.6.2.3_0+bash_completion either.

But some tests showed me that it worked with older 1.5.x versions. From
1.5.x to 1.6.x, git removed the git-* commands and they are only
available without the dash. Therefore the completion code also changed.
The git bash completion we are using ships with the upstream tarball.

It seems to me that git changed this intentionally. So I would say you
should check that up with the git project directly, as it does not seem
to be specific to git in MacPorts.

Rainer