Installing Mysql5 port on top of an existing mysql5 on Leopard and using Rails

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Tue Apr 28 05:06:54 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-27 , at 19:54 , Scott Haneda wrote:

> If this is the case, shut down mysql server.  You should find your
> old data at
> /usr/local/mysql/data
>
> You should see your new mysql data from macports at:
> /opt/local/var/db/mysql5

That accomplishes getting the data moved to where the mysql5
installation wants it to be by default, but it doesn't accomplish
having your data where it is independent of whose distribution of
mysql5 that you use - Apple, MySQL, ports

Lots of "applications" let you specify how to get to the mysql data
via the socket interface - you may just want to change the config file
for the app...

There's a very simple way to keep your data in one place - use /etc/
my.cnf to define things.

My example uses the "default" location of data based on the OS X
Server definitions - you could just as easily use "/var/lib/mysql"
like Centos, or whatever.

in the [mysqld] section add

basedir = /opt/local
datadir = /var/mysql

in the [client] section

socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock

I added the following set of definitions to "make sure" that things
got it straight

# face - 20070227
[mysqld_safe]
basedir = /opt/local