error compiling Octave

Olivier Le Floch alakazam at macports.org
Wed Aug 26 06:12:44 PDT 2009

Hi !

>> From: "nicos.pavlov at bluewin.ch" <nicos.pavlov at bluewin.ch>
>> Date: August 26, 2009 7:50:38 AM CDT
>> To: <lenorehorner at sbcglobal.net>
>> Subject: RE: error compiling Octave
>>
>> In the case of Intel (10.5.8, XCode 3.1.3), it is clearly a
>> compiler problem, where the -arch flag is not understood
>> by the gcc 4.3 compiler.

I believe this issue, only present when compiling with the trunk
version of macports, is now fixed ?

>> I could successfully compile the Octave port with the variant
>> "octave +g95".
>>
> Are there any side-effect of using the +g95 variant?

You'll be compiling the g95 port instead of gcc43. This is not
supposed to be an issue apart from the compile time ;)

> Is there a way to fix the problem with the -arch flag or have the
> default compiler not be gcc4.3?

If I'm not mistaken, this issue was only present with the trunk
version of macports, and was linked to changes in macport's platform
support. I've compiled octave successfully on a Mac Intel running
Leopard and XCode 3.1.3 yesterday, and will be looking into the other
(remaining) issues shortly. Please specify on the relevant open
tickets your platform, xcode and mac os X version, and attach full
error reports if compiling doesn't work.

Thanks,

--
Olivier Le Floch AKA Alakazam