MacPorts 1.8.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 29 03:47:48 PDT 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 05:45, Mark Hattam wrote:

> Hmmm ... since I did a
> sudo port upgrade outdated
> which although it appeared to "skip" several things due to not
> having known in advance to specify --enforce-variants (let alone in
> the correct manner) seems to have upgraded the ports.
>
> So now I have no ports outdated ... and therefore I can't now do
> sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants outdated
> as there are no outdated ports to upgrade.
>
> So what became of the "skipped" items?

They were skipped. :)

> Do they matter?

It means the set of variants recorded in the registry for the
installed port do not match the set of variants MacPorts would select
if you installed the port today. If the variants differ by anything
other than "+darwin" you should probably rebuild.

> (this is probably going to be a moot issue as SnowLeopard arrived in
> the post this morning, so it's all going to get a rebuild anyway -
> but not now as it's almost time to go to work)

True.

> So when I rebuild everything under 10.6, do I have to specify
> +darwin for lots of ports to avoid this --enforce-variants message
> in the future, or is +darwin now assumed by the ports that need it?

Ports always have and continue to use +darwin if needed. MacPorts
1.7.1 and earlier had a bug (or unintended behavior) that the +darwin
variant was not recorded in the registry. In MacPorts 1.8.0 all
variants are recorded in the registry.