Non-working non-root install

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Aug 29 12:29:55 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:40:51AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
> I have been running a non-root installation of MacPorts 1.7.1 and
> earlier with no problems. I use "port install foo" (without sudo)
> most of the time. When I encounter the occasional port that really
> does require root, then I use sudo.
>
> I now have a non-root install of MacPorts 1.8.0 and Snow Leopard on a
> clean drive and I am having problems.

What was the configure line you used to do the install?  I have a 1.8
install in my homedir, which had no problems with zlib.

> First, MacPorts now tells me all the time "MacPorts running without
> privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (eg
> install)." Is there a way to get MacPorts to shut up about it? :) I
> know what I'm doing and don't need to be reminded about it ten times
> per port.

That is pretty ugly output, it should probably only say so once I would say
(per run).  Ticket?

> Second, every port I've tried so far fails to get through the install
> phase, citing permission problems with manpages, presumably relating
> to MacPorts' re-compressing of manpages. The latter is filed as
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20887

Since I'm not seeing this, it's probably a deal with needing some more
configure options (assuming you used the same as in that ticket).  I have
been using:

$ ./configure --prefix=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test
--with-tclpackage=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Library/Tcl
--with-applications-dir=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Applications
--with-frameworks-dir=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Library/Frameworks
--with-install-user=blb --with-install-group=blb --with-no-root-privileges
--with-macports-user=blb --enable-readline

(or similar paths) for my home-based installs.  It may be the
--with-macports-user that is needed.

Bryan

[...]