Why doesn't macports install prebuild packages? / give Linux another try

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Tue Dec 1 13:45:22 PST 2009

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 03:26:00 +1100
Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> That's an orthogonal problem which affects source-based distributions as
> well.

You are right, of course.

> There's no reason binaries couldn't be updated whenever the ports they
> are built from are updated.

Also true. I guess that is in a way what the people behind "Debian
sid/unstable" do.

Still it is a lot easier to just update a few Portfiles, compared to
building and testing so many different binaries (and providing a
server infrastructure so people can actually download these),
obviously... and why should anyone do all this work for free for a
non-free operating system?

Vlado