mesa universal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 7 15:54:25 PST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 17:45, Payam Minoofar wrote:

> I upgraded to SL the day it was released. I followed the migration instructions, and everything has been working fine; anything that builds, that is.

Ok.

> Actually, it was with your help that I went through and rebuilt all dependencies as universal and got wine-devel to build. This was with 1.1.29, and all incremental upgrades built just fine, until 1.1.34 suddenly decided not to build today.

When I originally updated wine-devel to 1.1.29 (r56905, 2009-09-03) it did not check the architectures of dependencies. I added that later (r58381, 2009-09-27) due to the flood of emails from people who did not know they needed to make special arrangements for the dependencies on Snow Leopard. I somehow neglected to check the architecture of libGL from mesa; I added that more recently while 1.1.33 was current (r60835, 2009-11-25). So upgrading to 1.1.34 is the first time you would encounter this new check.

> When I try to install xorg-libXmu (which provides libXmu.dylib as universal, I get this error, even though port reports that libXmu can be built as universal:
>
> --->  Building xorg-libXmu
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-libXmu/work/libXmu-1.0.5" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
> Command output:       _XmuCvtStringToBitmap in StrToBmap.o
>      _XmuCvtStringToCursor in StrToCurs.o

[snip]

This is not the first error. You would see the first error if you retry with the debug switch (sudo port -d install xorg-libXmu +universal). It will likely tell you yet another library is not of the right architecture, and therefore needs to be rebuilt universal.

I believe you can shortcut all this manual work by having MacPorts rebuild all necessary dependencies universal for you. Try:

sudo port clean xorg-libXmu
sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants wine-devel +universal