Uninstall MacPorts ?

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Dec 28 18:57:41 PST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Ronnie Grubaugh wrote:

>> After reading the e-mails about the trials and tribulations of Mac
>> Ports users and my own experience with its support system, I have
>> concluded that a Linux-based OS and Mac Ports would be far to labor
>> intensive for myself. So it would be greatly appreciated, if you
>> could tell me how to uninstall Mac Ports. I thoroughly searched the
>> Mac Ports website and could only find information on downloading
>> Mac ports and I'm asking how to uninstall the complete Mac Ports
>> installation not just a single port. I have a intel imac 10.6.2
>> system. I apologize for downloading Mac Ports it definitely was a
>> mistake! Please help?
>> Thank you, Ronnie .G

Sorry it's not working out for you.

Others may know better but here are two approaches, one uses
Terminal.app and the other uses the Finder.

Terminal.app method
In the Finder click the "Go" menu and choose "Utilities". Find
Terminal and double click it.
In the Terminal window type:

	sudo port uninstall installed

That should uninstall all installed ports. You can now quit Terminal
by clicking the "File" menu and choosing "Quit".
Now in the Finder find your hard drive and delete the folder name "opt".

If all went well MacPorts is gone.

Finder method
In the Finder delete the following folders if they exist.

/opt
/Applications/MacPorts

Now delete any files that start with "org.macports." in
/Library/LaunchDaemons
and
/Library/LaunchAgents

You can read this, it might help:
http://guide.macports.org/index.html#installing.macports.uninstalling

Following those directions you can basically paste this into
Terminal.app:

sudo rm -rf \
     /opt/local \
     /Applications/DarwinPorts \
     /Applications/MacPorts \
     /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
     /Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
     /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
     /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
     /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
     /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
     ~/.macports

Good luck,