broken window focus with macports 1.700

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 7 17:44:01 PST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 16:44, Quentin Huys wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of macports 1.7. I use the ion3 window
> manager, which
> I love, but which isn't supported by macports (or many other
> distros, due to
> licensing issues).
>
> Now here comes the tricky bit. It's geared towards using keyboard
> to navigate
> windows. When I change window, the focus does move as it should,
> and the mouse
> jumps to the menu bar of the window I move to.
>
> Unfortunately, programs don't seem to 'be' in focus when that
> happens. For
> instance, if I use the keyboard to move focus to a window with
> xdvi, the cursor
> will jump to that window's menu bar, and that window will look
> active, but xdvi
> won't get any of my keyboard inputs until I use the mouse to move
> the cursor
> into the window proper. As soon as I move the cursor out of the
> window proper
> onto the menu bar no commands go through to the program any more.
> This is true
> for ghostview, xdvi and others.
>
> Unfortunately that totally destroys the usefulness of ion3 as a
> window manager,
> as I have to use the mouse every time I use the keyboard to move
> windows.
>
> I checked that this is not a ion3 bug. The same version of ion3 on
> an old
> (macports 1.600) works fine.
>
> I have no idea how to even start thinking aobut this... Any ideas?

I would imagine this has less to do with the version of MacPorts and
more to do with the fact that there has been lots of activity
recently in the xorg-* ports, and these are now used as dependencies
of ports that require X features, instead of using the X11 software
that Apple provides. Jeremy Huddleston has been the driving force for
this work, and it fixes several issues we have had, but may
unfortunately cause new ones. I'm not sure where to go on this issue
exactly. What version of Mac OS X and Xcode are you using? If
Leopard, are you also using XQuartz or no?