qt4-mac dependencies - 2 RDBMS?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 16 21:57:12 PST 2009

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> As far as I know, no port relies on either the postgresql or mysql functionality.
> Some users might want it however.

So there is no need to enable it by default and users can choose the
variants if they want to. As you say it only affects some, not all
users. And I doubt many users want both mysql and postgresql support.

> Qt has an QSqlDatabase class which can make use of several
> different driver types including PostgreSQL and MySQL.
> Having both provides extra functionality.
>
> Based solely on my own experience, using variants to enable functionality
> for the sake of minimizing dependencies is far more trouble than it is worth.

It makes sense to exclude heavy-weight dependencies from the default
install and provide them as variants. It's not easy to define
heavy-weight, this is a decision the maintainer has to make.

For example, requiring texlive as a build dependency only to provide a
documentation which can also be read online somewhere is not reasonable.
But for users who still want this locally a +docs variant can be provided.

> To answer your point, however, it seems there was no reason for the
> postgresql and mysql changes
> other than to provide full functionality without variants.

I consider both mysql and postgresql as heavy-weight (note  and they
should only be installed if there is a reason to do so. If you would
always go for "full functionality" there wouldn't be any variants at all.

I would suggest to move the mysql and postgresql dependencies back to
variants.

Rainer