Issue with double perl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 17 04:46:12 PST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 02:06, Jacco Rens wrote:

> I'm trying to build imapsync on my machine, but it fails with the
> following error:

> --->  Installing p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> --->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
> local/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the active
> perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f
> flag to force the activation.
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: p5-digest-md5 p5-
> io-socket-ssl p5-net-libidn libidn gettext expat libiconv gperf
> ncurses ncursesw p5-net-ssleay p5-mail-imapclient p5-term-readkey

You must do what the port tells you to do:

"/opt/local/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the
active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -
f flag to force the activation."

In other words, please type:

"sudo port -f activate p5-digest-md5"

Then continue with what you were doing before.

> What I have installed via ports is shown below, and I see perl5 and
> perl5.8 there, that I suspect to be the cause of the problem.

That is not a problem. perl5 is a thin wrapper over perl5.8, at this
time. That may change in the future.

$ port contents perl5
Port perl5 contains:
   /mp/bin/perl5