Issue with double perl

Paul Maunders paul at fubra.com
Mon Feb 23 07:35:43 PST 2009

Jacco Rens-2 wrote:

> Hi Listmembers,
>
> I'm trying to build imapsync on my machine, but it fails with the
> following error:

> --->  Installing p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> --->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
> share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the active perl5.8
> port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force
> the activation.
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: p5-digest-md5 p5-io-
> socket-ssl p5-net-libidn libidn gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses
> ncursesw p5-net-ssleay p5-mail-imapclient p5-term-readkey

I'm also getting the same problem. I tried the suggestion of deactivating
the p5-digest-md5 package but that didn't work:

paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port -f deactivate p5-digest-md5
Error: port deactivate failed: Registry error: p5-digest-md5 not registered
as installed & active.

I think it was actually asking us to deactivate the perl5.8 port, so I did
this:

paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port -f deactivate perl5.8
--->  Deactivating perl5.8

... and it gets a bit further:

paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port install imapsync
--->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
--->  Cleaning p5-digest-md5

It goes on to install a number of other packages, but then fails at the
following step:

--->  Configuring p5-net-libidn
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-net-libidn/work/Net-LibIDN-0.10"
&& /opt/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor " returned error 127
Command output: sh: /opt/local/bin/perl: No such file or directory