Trace mode (was: Re: Process for checking port dependencies)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 25 23:54:56 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 01:49, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>>> I have somewhere around 40 or these to do, it is a process.  If
>>> there is
>>> anything anyone can share to make it easier, I sure would love to
>>> hear it.
>>
>> This is the main problem that trace mode (-t) was designed to solve.
>
> Does trace mode actually install anything, or just run through it?
> Can you share a simple example?

Trace mode prevents the things you are installing from accessing
files you did not declare dependencies on. That's it. It inserts
itself into the libraries of the software you are installing,
overriding its open() call or whatever with a replacement call that
first checks that your dependencies allow opening that particular
file. Just try it out.