Dependencies

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Feb 26 04:50:45 PST 2009

Seriously, I want to say a huge thanks to this list and all ports
contributors and helpers.  It is amazing to me.  I have been rather
chatty here lately, but always walk away with an answer. Good work.

I ran into two issues today, with dependencies.  I have a port, it
will depend on a large number of p5's, each of those may or may not
depend on other p5's, and I believe, a few of these have sub and sub
sub dependencies.

I had the final project working, but before I submit the port, I
uninstalled everything, and reinstalled.  Two of my p5's were not
working.  I got them to work, I do not know perl well, and probably
did things in a round about way, looking for advice.

The two are:
Mail::SPF::Query
Tie::RDBM

Mail::SPF::Query
My port file installs fine, it is a basic portfile, with no
dependencies.  I have been all over http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF-Query/lib/Mail/SPF/Query.pm
  and I can not find anything that tells me it needs
Sys::Hostname::Long.  How would I get this info?  As it is now, I have
submitted this portfile, thinking it was good, learning it was not.
Sorry.

What I ended up doing was:
/opt/local/bin/perl -MMail::SPF::Query -le 'print for Mail::SPF::Query-
 >new( helo => shift, ipv4 => shift, sender => shift)->result' \
helohost.example.com 1.2.3.4 user at example.com Can't locate Sys/
Hostname/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/
darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/perl5/
site_perl/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.9 /
opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9/
darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/
perl5/vendor_perl .) at /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9/Mail/
SPF/Query.pm line 26. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/local/
lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9/Mail/SPF/Query.pm line 26. Compilation
failed in require. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
 From there, I could see Sys/Hostname/Long.pm was missing.  The thing
is, I already forgot how I managed to mangle up that one liner, and it
was hard enough.  To have to do that to 20 total p5's, ewww.

Suggestions to alleviate this problem?

Tie::RDBM
This one needs dbi, (p5-dbi), and I honestly can not remember how it
was that I figured that out.  Tie:RDBM is even more complex, as it is
contained inside Tie::dbi. So let me break that out, I needed
Tie:RDBM, to get to it, I needed to find Tie:dbi, which has a
dependency on DBI.

Suggestions to alleviate this problem?

If the answer is, I should write some small perl code to use each of
the features of the module to make sure, I can live with that, and
learn to do so.  Hopefully, there is some handy little trick that will
allow one off commands that can accomplish the same thing.

Thanks again to all of you.
--
Scott

--