Install suggestions for port ASSP

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:23:16 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:44 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>> I hope there is a provision for dealing with this. ASSP has a built
>> in http server, done in perl, which allows a web based admin.  That
>> admin, reads and writes files in the ASSP/files, ASSP/db and a few
>> other places.  The user is not modifying them directly, they are
>> more like "preferences" for ASSP.
>>
>> There are no sample files to install, they are sparse config/
>> instruction files, that get filled over time, either by the user
>> admin, or automatically by the application, or both.
>>
>> How do I protect these files? I suspect this is analogous to how to
>> you protect mysql databases, but those are not pre-installed in
>> most cases.
>
> If I understand Ryans reply correctly, if you create the folders but
> not the files, then the folders will be registered but not the files.
> Since port won't delete files not registered to it the files nor the
> directory should be deleted.
>
> I don't know this but this is the behavior I would expect.

Well, if that is the case, that is in part good. My issue I believe is
that ASSP, installs a file for example, ASSP/files/blacklist.txt

In it, is a list of known bad IP's that everyone would want to use in
their spam proxy.  It is a good starting point.  But you, as a user,
will use the web admin, to modify this file, and add more to it.  When
someone comes along and port update's, that file is going to get wiped
out, and the one from the ditro put in place, writing over the users
changes.

I need to solve that?  There is no set of sample conf files I can put
into place.  I actually think this is a lot like MySql, in that MySql
has a data dir, in it is installed the MySql db for users and
permissions, there is a small amount of data in it.  Over time, you
add more of your own to it.

I am guessing, a MySql update in ports is not going to harm that, so I
need to use that same approach.

How do I fake a update in ports, if there is not a real one to test
out on?
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *