python 2.6 port questions

Brian Barnes bcbarnes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:40:56 PST 2009

Hello,

I am considering upgrading my macports install, and part of that would
likely involve going from py25-* to py26-*.  However, when looking at
available ports, I see that py25-pyx, py25-zlib, and py25-tkinter all
exist, but their py26- equivalents are not listed.  In some cases
(zlib, tkinter), a 3.0 port is listed.  However, a message on macports-
dev suggests that perhaps something is fundamentally changed with zlib
in the py26 ports [1].

For anyone who's already taken the plunge, will the py26- ports do
everything py25- does?  Or will I be missing pyx, tkinter, and zlib?
As someone who has submitted a change to the py25-pyx portfile
previously, I may suggest that the pyx-specific parts of the py25-pyx
portfile could probably be copied straight over to a py26 port, and
encourage someone with cvs access to give it a shot (please!).

Thought I'd ask here before trying to install stuff or filing tickets...

thanks,

Brian
[1] http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2009-January/006850.html