error apache2 from macports 1.70

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 18 17:45:20 PST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 17:54, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:12:45PM -0400, Jason Hirsh said:
>
>> sh: /opt/local/bin/bzip2: Bad CPU type in executable
>
> Was this MacPorts install copied over from a different architecture
> (eg from
> a PowerPC to Intel)?

I would have thought that a PowerPC binary on an Intel Mac would work
correctly through Rosetta.

> Odd though that it continued on after that as it should have failed
> at this
> point instead of continuing.

No, unfortunately, that is a known problem that it does not error out
at this point if the decompression program is faulty. We need to fix
that.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16223

I have thought that it would be nice to separate extraction from
decompression instead of putting them in a single phase. Besides
being cleaner and fixing the above issue, it would enable us to
handle formats that cannot be decompressed and extracted in a single
step, such as .dmg.zip. Unfortunately, so many ports have hacked the
arguments of the existing extract phase that changing it at all at
this point may be problematic.