Error building nspr during Gnome-Control Center install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 15:21:05 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:35, Mark wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 19, 2009, at 00:24, Mark wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone help me interpret this error? I tried installing
>>> Gnome-Control-Center, and early it bombed.
>>
>> I'm not sure we're seeing the first error here. MacPorts only
>> shows you the last 40 (I think) lines of error. Try "sudo port
>> clean nspr" and then "sudo port -d install nspr" and see what the
>> first error is. That may tell us more.

[snip]

> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o prlink.o -c    -I/opt/local/include -O2 -Wmost -
> fno-common -pthread -fPIC  -UDEBUG  -DNDEBUG=1 -DXP_UNIX=1 -
> DDARWIN=1 -DHAVE_BSD_FLOCK=1 -DHAVE_SOCKLEN_T=1 -DXP_MACOSX=1 -
> DHAVE_LCHOWN=1 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1  -DFORCE_PR_LOG -D_PR_PTHREADS -
> UHAVE_CVAR_BUILT_ON_SEM -D_NSPR_BUILD_ -I../../../dist/include/nspr
> -I../../../pr/include -I../../../pr/include/private -I/Developer/
> Headers/FlatCarbon  prlink.c
> In file included from /usr/include/mach/mach_types.h:80,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/
> Headers/IOKitLib.h:41,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> DiskArbitration.framework/Headers/DADisk.h:28,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/
> Files.h:62,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/
> Components.h:32,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/
> CarbonCore.h:85,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20,
>                  from /System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:21,
>                  from /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/CodeFragments.h:1,
>                  from prlink.c:48:
> /usr/include/mach/host_info.h:70:26: error: /usr/include/mach/
> machine.h: Input/output error

There's the first error. It can't open /usr/include/mach/machine.h
due to an input/output error. That usually only occurs if your disk
is failing! Can you open this file manually? I expect not. You should
back up your data immediately, preferrably onto a second set of
backup media so that you don't overwrite a previous backup, in case
the disk is already gone. I'm not sure how best to test the disk, but
you can try verifying the disk in Disk Utility and also check its
S.M.A.R.T. status at the bottom of the Disk Utility window. A healthy
disk should have the status "verified".