Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 21 04:27:45 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 3:19 AM, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

> There was an attempt at that: cpan2port
> [http://www.nabble.com/announce:-cpan2port-td20415884.html]. I don't
> know what is its current status, but that's a nice thing. If it was
> also
> possible to have this for python eggs, ruby gems, ctan, etc. However,
> debian has had such a tool for a long time, other package managers
> also
> have.

Cool, thanks.
I downloaded it, and moved it to ~/bin which is in my path.

When I run it with no arguments to get to help for it, I get errors,
which reference macports, which I should not, since I am using the
built in perl in OS X.

$whereis perl
/usr/bin/perl

perl cpan2port
Can't locate Module/Depends.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/
perl5/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/
perl5/site_perl/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/
5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/
5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9 /opt/local/
lib/perl5/vendor_perl /Users/me/bin) at cpan2port line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at cpan2port line 54.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on, not so much specifically
to this, but why has my local perl been messed with?

me at mes-macbook:~/bin/ $/usr/bin/perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home
Page.

me at mes-macbook:~/bin/ $/opt/local/bin/perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.9 built for darwin-2level

Copyright 1987-2008, Larry Wall

--
Scott