Error after trying to upgrade installed

robert delius royar apple at frinabulax.org
Fri Jan 23 05:35:44 PST 2009

Fri, 23 Jan 2009 (06:27 -0600 UTC) Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 07:37, robert delius royar wrote:
>
>> So much traffic on this thread, so much time spent answering questions. But
>> I do not recall any of the answerers trying
>> port provides /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib
>
> Sorry; I thought it was already understood that libintl is the
> internationalization library and that it is provided by gettext.

My original post was strident; it should not have been.
[...]
> I agree it's a MacPorts base issue. A ticket has now also been filed for this
> issue:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18149

Thanks

>> I have the last model of the G5 iMac running 10.5.6, and the
>> portinstalltype is direct, and portarchivemode is no.  1.7 seems as though
>> it has sections that are not sure what "direct" mode is by the way; some
>> ports I have upgraded recently report "activating."  I have not used image
>> mode on this machine at all.
>
> Direct mode is certainly less well tested than image mode. I've never used
> it. Is there a particular reason why you are using it?

I began using Darwinports very soon after DP was created.  When Image
mode was added, a few of us (perhaps under Panther but could have been
Tiger) noticed significant (and documentable) slow downs on access to
files in /opt/local/bin.  After a conversation on the old DP mailing
list, we found that hard links were problematic for the OS (at least in
that version) when they exceded some level.

I recall that an Apple employee stated that this was a known problem.
After switching from my old G4 to this G5 and reinstalling MP, I kept
the direct mode partly because it works just fine and I do not usually
need to worry about which port is active.  I only have 518 ports
installed on this computer.  On the earlier machine I had more of the
X11 system in DP/MP.  But now that Apple has a real active developer
working on porting X, all my X stuff (except gimp) is outside MP's
system.

> There are ports that define post-activation phases. Perhaps those are getting
> executed even in direct mode, and that is why you see MacPorts stating it is
> activating a port, even though in direct mode there isn't an activation
> phase...
>
> If you could say exactly what ports do this, we could investigate further.

I will make sure to do this the next time I see the problem.  I can
usually work around it because of so many years using MP, so I just move
forward.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky