how do I find which package has a program I am looking for?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Wed Jul 1 19:18:17 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:45:01PM -0400, Mitchell L Model said:
> At 10:48 AM +1000 7/2/09, Joshua Root wrote:
> >On 2009-7-2 10:27, Mitchell L Model wrote:
> >> I just switched machines. I had /opt/local/bin/ls on my other one. I am remaking my ports environment for various reasons. So far I haven't stumbled upon the port containing ls! I've read documentation, tried some things, etc. I'm sure I'm missing something really basic. Would someone please fill me in?
> >
> >/opt/local/bin/ls would only be provided by the coreutils port with the
> >+with_default_names variant selected. It's actually a pretty bad idea to
> >use this variant, because many programs will expect the utilities to
> >have the BSD behaviour. It can currently also break MacPorts base:
> ><http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18149>
> >
> >Without that variant, the coreutils will be installed with a 'g' prefix,
> >e.g. 'ls' becomes 'gls'. If you want to use gls when you type ls in your
> >shell, it's far safer to set up an alias.
>
> Thanks for all that info -- that was a whole other issue I hadn't thought about.
> I switched from fink to ports recently, and not everything is the same.
> I've been getting errors on some installations with the command "cd";
> I wonder if that's the same problem

Make sure your install is current (with 'sudo port selfupdate') as most of
the cd problems have been fixed; if you still hit one, please file a ticket
so we can fix it:

<http://trac.macports.org/newticket>

> But I still want to know how to find something -- I'm missing libJPEG.dylib
> which is needed for some things I'm installing (and not obscure ones),
> for instance. How would I figure out what package contains it? I guess
> libraries are harder than commands; I'd like to know how to find both.

The jpeg port provides libjpeg.dylib (all lowercase) if that's what you're
looking for.  However, note that MacPorts doesn't currently have a database
of installed files and what port provides them, you basically have to have a
given port already installed to find that information.

Bryan