gcc4.4 installation error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 3 05:58:45 PDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 07:36, Lars-Erik Lindgren wrote:

> 2009/5/27 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
>
>> On May 26, 2009, at 21:13, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
>>
>>> If I had to guess, you have some items installed within /usr/
>>> local that are conflicting with this MacPort.
>>
>> Right, specifically /usr/local/lib/libgmp.a:

>> Because of inevitable interference like this, it's not supported
>> to have anything in /usr/local while using MacPorts. Rename /usr/
>> local to something else, like /usr/local-off, then clean gcc44
>> (sudo port clean gcc44) and try again. I recommend you do not
>> install software manually e.g. into /usr/local, and instead use
>> MacPorts to install any software you need.
>
> That fixed the issue. Then I copied back the original content of /
> usr/local/
>
> Must I do this procedure (temporarily emptying /usr/local and then
> copying back original contents) whenever I want to use MacPort to
> install some software or si this only a problem for gcc?

Any software installed by MacPorts or compiled by hand could find
libraries in /usr/local without notice. In the case of MacPorts-
installed software, this would most likely interfere with the ability
of MacPorts to manage your dependencies in a reliable manner. As I
said above, it is not supported to have anything in /usr/local while
using MacPorts. That means you can do it if you want, but if you
encounter problems we will not support you in making MacPorts work
with that setup; we will tell you to get rid of what's in /usr/local
and try again.

> Is there any risk of clashes between file names directoriers when
> copying back /usr/local (I used "sudo cp -T tempusrlocal/local /usr/
> loacl/" where tempusrlocal/local is where I moved its originla
> content)?

MacPorts will not install things in /usr/local so I can't think why
there would be any clash when copying things back there. Also don't
think you need to copy anything; simply moving the directory would be
enough.