gimp-2.6.6_2+x11 startup issue

Pawel Veselov pawel.veselov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:14:47 PDT 2009

[skipped]
> OK, I think I have everything sorted out.  After a lot of uninstalling,
> deleting, and recompiling, I got gimp-2.6 to work.  However, I'm still
> getting:
>
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> I get this when loading Inkscape as well.  They both seem to run fine other
> than this.  Anyone know where this issue might be coming from?

Well, since XRANDR is an X extension that is responsible for
on-the-fly display rotating and resizing, this is probably optional,
and is not required for the well being of gimp (and linkscape), and I
doubt that MacOS X11 can ever truly support this extension.Since these
tools can somehow take advantage of this extension, they complain that
it is not present. (Actually, they just print whatever error message
Xlib produces).