How to request MacPorts to add a port?

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Sat Jun 20 06:50:53 PDT 2009

hey Scott,

Currently the people officially in charge of macports are overworked
volunteers. So the best way to get a port into macports is do as much
as you can on your own and then ask the list for help when you have
very specific questions.

Something like...

I'm follwoing the directions here found here
http://guide.macports.org/#development.introduction

and when I get to this step

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes

I can't figure out how to add a perl module to macports.

I noticed that urltoys is a perl module which is a good detail. I
think you might be able to look at other perl modules that are in
macports and see how they are handled. Then copy their portfile and
try to make a urltoy port file.

Good luck and maybe someone else has better advice.

Ben