php.ini removed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 28 13:38:15 PDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 11:08, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2009-06-28 , at 08:39 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>>> Sorry about the problem, but I'm not sure how it happened. As far
>>> as I can tell, php5 does not touch your php.ini, and never has.
>>> It only installs sample files named php.ini-dist and php.ini-
>>> recommended and prints a message advising you to copy one of
>>> these to the proper location.
>>
>> I think the location of php.ini may have been moved to etc/php5
>> with php5 @5.2.10. I was paying that much attention when I upgraded.
>
> ahhh, the mystery is solved.
>
> the upgrade to php5 @5.2.10 moved the php.ini file to /opt/local/
> etc/php5/php.ini
> the deactivate didn't touch anything
> the activate php5 @5.2.6 didn't do anything to php.ini either,
> since there now is no php.ini in /opt/local/etc

Oooh, yes, that was it. Sorry, I forgot about that change; it
happened 2 months ago with 5.2.9_2.

> hmmm, maybe the "right" thing for php5 @5.2.10 to do is copy the
> php.ini file as opposed to moving it?

I don't know... if you didn't see the message about the php.ini
having been moved (or now copied), wouldn't it be more confusing to
still have the php.ini at the old location? You'd be making changes
to the file and scratching your head why those changes weren't having
any effect.

I could move the file and then put a symlink to it at the old
location...