logging postfix and others

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Mar 1 01:37:27 PST 2009

I just started looking into this....

On Feb 28, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> What are others doing for logging?
>
> Postfix wants to use syslog facilities and I would like to move the
> logs from /var/log to /opt/local/var/xxx.

I knew we needed to do this, but I had no idea it was going to be an
issue, I see it as being one now.  One way, would be to leave them as
they are, write a small launchd item that pipes them from /var/log/
mail to wherever we want, seems messy, less than ideal.

> But changing /etc/syslog.conf doesn't seem like a macports way of
> doing it.
>
> I'm not totally opposed to making changes to /etc/syslog.conf but I
> wouldn't be surprised if Apple supdates over wrote them some day.

I would say, it is pretty stable, in that it is how it is now, but
right it is going to change, for sure.

> I'll figure this out but in case there is something more or less
> standard for macports packages I thought I'd ask.

I do not know of anything, but this gets worse.  Somewhere in /etc/
periodic, it a roller, that will roll the mail logs, but it saves a
certain amount of them, and then rolls them off, deleting them. If we
keep using syslog for postfix, we have to also tell people to alter
that, as it is too frequent a lot roll.  Some will not want them
deleted as well, like myself.  So add that to your list of things to
solve about thsi logging issues :)

That is what is nice about apache being away from apple, the http logs
do not get rolled away.  First thing I do in setting up a new server
is comment out the log rollers, second is set up a ntpudpate command
in launchd to keep the clock from drifting.
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *