OT: clock drift (was: Re: logging postfix and others)

David J. Haines daveesq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 03:35:05 PST 2009

Actually, running ntpdate won't help keep your clock from drifting.
It only sets the clock once, at the time it is run.  After that, your
clock is free to drift - and this does happen.  To keep your clock set
and to correct for drift, you need to use ntpd.  The "set time and
date automatically" checkbox makes OS X run ntpd.  NTP does a really
good job of keeping things synchronized, taking into account network
lag, and slowly adjusting the clock over time, so as to avoid "jumps"
in time.