perl -f (was apache2 location)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 2 20:02:04 PST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 14:51, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Unless someone perl wise explains why they need to be there in
>>> the first place it's a flaw in the port that put them there.
>>>
>>> Where do they come from?
>>
>> I still don't know what files you're talking about. Could you name
>> a specific file?
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled macports.
> Installed perl5.8 and and then p5-digest-md5 to give you an example.
> I think the problem may be that perl5.8 installs a lot of modules
> but they do not get registered so when a port like imapsync depends
> on p5-digest-md5 macports may not know that it's installed already.
> Or maybe p5-digest-md5 is not installed but the man page is.
>
> You will see a lot of perl module man pages in /opt/local/man/man3
> after installing only perl5.8.

Ok, that's what I assumed. So everything is functioning exactly as
expected. perl5.8 includes some modules. The modules and their
manpages are being registered to the perl5.8 port. And then we also
have separate ports for some of those modules. Logically you cannot
install both at the same time. So, as has been said before, we need
to come up with a solution. Either remove the separate module ports,
or remove the modules from the perl5.8 port and let the separate
module ports handle it, or have the module ports install into a
separate directory from where perl5.8 installs the modules and then
find some way to educate the perl-using ports to look in both places
for modules. I am not a perl expert so I don't know how to solve
this, but if someone wants to tackle the issue, please do.