libpixbufloader

Andy Schmitt smurfair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:27:00 PST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 4:45 AM, David Evans wrote:

> Andy Schmitt wrote:
>> I just compiled something that had expected to find: /lib/gtk-2.0/*/
>> loaders/libpixbufloader-bmp.so
>>
>> Googling suggests that's a pretty common location for that folder
>> and that perhaps gdk-pixbuf was installed along with gtk2 as
>> recently as 2.8. But I had to manually install the gdk-pixbuf port
>> and adjust that path to /lib/gdk-pixbuf/loaders/libpixbufloader-
>> bmp.so.
>>
>> So, did something change or did I manage to screw something up
>> somewhere along the way.
>>
>> andy
>>
> Andy --
>
> I think you are mixing two different versions of gtk.
>
> The gdk_pixbuf library is now included as part of gtk2 and bmp file
> format is one of the default file types that can be loaded or
> saved without using an external loader module. (also jpeg, png, ico at
> least)

So wait, are you saying that /opt/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders
*should* be present after gtk2 is installed?

> The command
>
> gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
>
> will show you what additional external loader modules are installed
> and
> where. These are usually installed by other ports
> to add support for their own file types.

That returned:
# Created by gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders from gtk+-2.14.7
# LoaderDir = /opt/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders

However, the "loaders" folder is noticeably absent.

> The port gdk-pixbuf is an old version that is compatible with gtk1,
> glib1 where it was a separate library and a loader module was required
> for bmp.
>
> Perhaps the application you are trying to build is a gtk1 application?
> If you have port gdk-pixbuf installed then you also have its
> dependencies installed gtk1, glib1.

I actually only installed gdk-pixbuf when I discovered ../loaders/
libpixbufloader-bmp.so was nowhere to found. So, yeah, I hadn't had
gtk1 and glib1 installed until gdk-pixbuf needed them to compile.

No it's gtk2. The application in question is NetRadiant- an attempt at
maintaining a reliable stabilized distribution of gtkRadiant 1.5,
since no others are being maintained. Rudolf Polzer has single-
handedly taken this on, but I don't think he has the resources to be
testing OS X builds. Historically most OS X Radiant SRC and binaries
needed/were built with the Fink tools and libraries. Long story short:
the current post-make scripts packs up the executables and dynamic
libraries into an .app, but they assumed Fink, and in particular /sw/
lib/gtk-2.0/*/loaders/libpixbufloader-bmp.so.

> Try
>
> port contents <portname>
>
> to see what files have been installed for a given port.

Doing:
port contents gtk2
shows no sign of any of the libpixbufloader-xxx.so files

BTW does "port contents <name>" return what *was installed* with that
port or what *was supposed to have been installed*?

> gtk1 and gtk2 can coexist without interfering with each other AFAIK.
> (As
> long as you don't link them together) ;-)
>
> Dave

So, I don't know where that leaves me. Thanks for the informative
reply Dave.

andy