binary rpm repos?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Mar 9 02:03:00 PDT 2009

Joshua Root wrote:

>> One problem with the current system is that the archives
>> are sorted by OS and Arch, but not including OS version.
>> That is, the binaries for Tiger and Leopard would go to
>> the same file path - unless having a platform variant...
>>
>> It also needs digests (e.g. SHA) and signatures (e.g GPG)
>> as well as better metadata, however those are achieved ?
>> You should take this up on MacPorts Dev, if you want to
>> improve it. It's still stalling on the build logs, I think.
>
> That and registry support for the extra info.

The extra info is usually external to the archives,
i.e. you add a SHA1SUMS with an .asc or something...

Here's one example from the Linux world, for instance:
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/CHECKSUMS.md5
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/CHECKSUMS.md5.asc

The package format used (.tgz) is similar to MacPorts's.

With "better metadata" I mostly meant the storage
within the archive, even if there's plenty of missing
fields too (but those are listed as separate issues...)

Currently the Portfile contents is dumped as +PORTFILE,
and then it's included with the rest of the destroot
files and compressed with the same compression as well.

This can be improved upon without adding registry info.

--anders