Cannot upgrade perl5.8 - registry error

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Mar 11 17:53:37 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> When I try to upgrade perl5.8 to version 5.8.9_2, I get the
> following error:
>
> Error: Checking installed version failed: Registry error: perl5.8
> @5.8.8_0+darwin_8 not registered as installed.
>
> perl -v says I have version 5.8.6.  Using port -f doesn't help.  A
> lot of other actions seem to be affected by this.  How can I get
> around this error?

Maybe your perl -v is telling you the Mac OS X version? Try /opt/local/
bin/perl -v instead.  You can also issue `port installed | grep perl`
and see what version Mac Ports has installed.  I would not at all be
surprised if you had 5.8.9_2 already, as I do, and made no real
efforts to instal it.

If you still do need to get it working, you could remove it, and then
install it again, maybe also first try to activate it, if it is not
listed as active in the installed list.

Show the output to the command above, and probably someone can point
you what to do next.