Re-do MacPorts after upgrading from Tiger to Leopard on PPC?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 18 14:09:03 PDT 2009

Jerry wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers. Even before I saw them today, I solved all
> my MacPorts problems by uninstall everything. I'm not being ungrateful
> because believe me, I'm just the opposite. However, I would like to
> offer a bit of feedback. My experience with MacPorts has been pretty
> bad. If I had really _needed_ any of the software that I tried to
> install, as opposed to just evaluating it, I would have been pretty
> hosed, I'm afraid. I mostly appreciate the ambitious goal of MacPorts
> and I might try again later, but not soon.

To interrupt here, for what would you _need_ it? You have to admit that
MacPorts is an open source project limited to the resources the
community offers. All developers and maintainers offer there free time.
If you really _need_ something as in for work, you either have to invest
time to resolve problems yourself or pay someone offering support for
that. That might sound harsh now, but you should not base your business
on something you got for free as a gift without support contract :-)

Sorry that it turned out like this for you. There are people constantly
trying to improve the experience using MacPorts. But as this is an open
source you as users are our main QA department.

Rainer