port install efficiency issue

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Mar 21 20:37:55 PDT 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Darren Weber wrote:
> What is up with port?  It just ran for about 15 mins to build a
> package that is already installed.

It doesn't usually do this for me. Are you running the current
released version or are you running the development version?

Perhaps you have discovered a bug?

> If I were to work on the same damn thing, repeating it all day, day
> after day, I would get the sack pretty quickly.  Just think of the
> useless load on the network and the servers for all those futile
> downloads, etc.  So tell me, why shouldn't I switch to fink?  At
> least Debian has a decent package management system, geez!

If something else works better for you, you should probably use that.

Macports is free and operated by volunteers. I'm sure we'd be happy to
have your help fixing any problems you notice, though.

--
Daniel J. Luke