selfupdate fails

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Mar 29 23:05:24 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:11:46AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
> On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:17, Jochen Küpper wrote:
>
>> after the announcement of 1.7.1 I run port selfupdate, however, this
>> bails -- could be due to gcc_select 4.3?
>>
>> So, this is a Mac OS X 10.5.6 system with MacPorts 1.7.0. I have used
>> gcc_select to pick gcc-mp-4.3:
>>   /opt/local/bin/gcc@ -> /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.3
>
> I don't know.... could you try removing the /opt/local/bin/gcc symlink and
> see if selfupdate then works? I would have hoped that selfupdate, like
> MacPorts itself, would use only the very specific gcc version with which
> we have all tested (/usr/bin/gcc-4.0).

selfupdate, or more specifically, configure, removes ${prefix}/bin and
${prefix}/sbin from PATH prior to running (through MP_PATH_SCAN in
aclocal.m4) so nothing there like gcc should even be seen.

Using 'sudo port -d selfupdate' would be more helpful as the issue is
probably before the output we're seeing.

Bryan