Announcing: port_upgrade

Tony Doan tdoan at tdoan.com
Sat May 9 17:54:17 PDT 2009

Jeremy,

In many cases your commands probably work fine. Partly I started this
before port uninstall inactive worked. Previously if you had two
versions of libiconv  you couldn't uninstall the older one. But I've
also found many cases were port upgrade leaves me with multiple broken
ports. How bad that situation is probably depends largely on how often
you upgrade your ports. One audience for port_upgrade is folks that
have been installing ports for quite sometime but have never upgraded
anything. In that case port_upgrade can leave you with a fresh clean
tree where everything works, albeit a trade off for the recompile time.

This got started after the second time my ports were so bent that the
solution ended up being:

rm -rf /opt//local

I'm sure port_upgrade isn't for everyone.

\T