upgrading gcc44 not working properly?

MD White mdwhite15 at woh.rr.com
Sat May 16 10:29:35 PDT 2009

Hi,

I installed gcc44 when it was listed as Beta / "experimental" back in
March.  gcc-mp-4.4 --version :
    gcc-mp-4.4 (GCC) 4.4.0 20090313 (experimental)

I saw that it is no longer listed in the ports as beta (4.5 now is)
and so I tried
    sudo port upgrade gcc44

However, the only thing that got upgraded was apparently
    gmp, lzmautils, mpfr, libiconv and gperf

gcc/g++ were not upgraded (are there no changes?), nor were java or
gfortran installed (for some reason when the "betas" are made of gcc,
these are included only as "variants" even though they are considered
part of the actual gcc distribution by the gnu developers).   Even if
gcc does not change, it seems like the "upgrade" command should
install any of the items that are no longer variants in the non-beta
installation, so that the port is standardized.

Thanks,

  - M