subversion on 10.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 30 22:28:46 PDT 2009

On May 30, 2009, at 15:33, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le 30 mai 09 à 20:35, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> On May 30, 2009, at 08:06, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>>
>>> could somebody help subversion maintainer to make it compile on
>>> 10.4 please ?
>>>
>>> it's all the more annoying that there is no subversion at all in
>>> 10.4, contrary to 10.5
>>
>> I have no problem compiling Subversion on Mac OS X 10.4. What
>> problem are you experiencing?
>
> I believed that the problem was in the build operation
>
> do you know why this error happens when upgrade but not when install ?
> isn't build operation the same ?

Subversion needs to link to other libraries, such as apr and neon,
which were also installed with MacPorts. One way to do this is to add
-I/opt/local/include to the CPPFLAGS variable and -L/opt/local/lib to
the LDFLAGS variable. Since many ports have this need, MacPorts does
this automatically for all ports. But Subversion is composed of
several libraries which are based on each other. For example,
libsvn_delta depends on libsvn_subr. When Subversion is being built,
libsvn_subr is built first, then some time later libsvn_delta is
built and is supposed to be linked with the new version of
libsvn_subr that was just built but has not yet been installed. But
because of the -L/opt/local/lib directive, it tries erroneously to
link the new libsvn_delta library with the old libsvn_subr that is
in /opt/local/lib instead of the one that was just built. The old
version of libsvn_subr does not have the capabilities the new version
of libsvn_delta requires and so an error occurs. By deactivating the
old version of subversion first, you remove the old libraries from /
opt/local/lib and thus prevent the problem.

>> I know there was a problem compiling 1.6.x while 1.5.x is active.
>
> also with 1.4.x

Right, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue exists compiling 1.6.x
while any version earlier than 1.6.0 is active, but I have not tested
other than the last 1.5.x version.

>> The workaround is to deactivate or uninstall 1.5.x and then clean
>> and install 1.6.x.
>
> thank you :-)

Did that work for you? If not, please post the error you got.