Problems with startup on OpenLDAP

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 05:10:31 PST 2009

I had the bright idea last night of trying OpenLDAP (MacPorts 2.3.35 vs current openldap.org 2.4.19) to see if I could get all my Apple Mail & Thunderbird etc programs to use one common address book.

The Macports install went through OK, and I used the load .plist to apparently run it ... except it didn't seem to run, no output, no logs.

Eventually found (via Google) to run it with -d 5 to get it to print some logging ...
1. it couldn't read it config file due to permissions ... chmod 777 solved that
2. got further, but still died ...
in the end I ran it as
sudo /opt./local/libexec/slapd -d 5

but that just runs it in the active Terminal window. But at least I could now telnet in on port 389 and get some response.

Is OpenLDAP what I should be looking for for providing a common address book to complement the mailserver. Clearly I shouldn't be needing to "sudo" it to get it to run each time I want it.

And 2.3.x doesn't even figure in their "recent changes" on the website. The OpenLDAP website documentation is all 2.4.x

Mark