MySQL Permission Problems

Craig Hoffman choffman at eclimb.net
Sat Nov 28 14:10:17 PST 2009

I'm sort of stumped here.  I just did a clean install of MySQL.
sudo port install mysql5-server

After the install I ran this command -
sudo -u _mysql mysql_install_db5

It returned the usual messages - Installing tables - ok and so on.  No problems reported.   Next, I ran  mysql_secure_installation script.  From the output message:
"Alternately, you can run:
sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_secure_installation"

When I run the script, it returns Error 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root at localhost' (Using Password: Yes).  Keep in mind, this is a new install.  I have not setup a root password yet.  Any ideas on whats going on here?  Thanks.

CH

Craig Hoffman
iChat / AIM: mountain.dog