port upgrade outdated - stops at build failure on doxygen

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 3 00:57:36 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 16:50, Darren Weber wrote:

> First, a general question about how the outdated ports are sorted -
> are they sorted alphabetically or is there a dependency heirarchy
> (or tree) that is searched to identify the order for upgrade?

The displayed list is alphabetically sorted. When you request a port
to be upgraded, it will of course upgrade dependencies first, so "sudo
port upgrade outdated" will not generally upgrade ports in the order
listed.

> Now, is it possible to have 'port update outdated' continue after a
> build failure?  Below is an example of a long list of outdated ports
> and the upgrade procedure fails on a port early in the process
> (doxygen in this case).  So the upgrade stops without updating the
> rest of the outdated ports.

I don't know why doxygen failed for you; provide more debug output if
you need help with it and/or file a ticket. To proceed past errors,
use "-p" as in "sudo port -p upgrade outdated". Often this is not a
good thing to do because the new version of port B may depend on the
new version of port A (or port B's revision may have been specifically
bumped so that it would link with the new version of port A) but if A
fails and you tell upgrade to proceed to B anyway, B will rebuild
against the old version of A, and once you figure out what was wrong
with A and upgrade it, B will be left without its needed rebuild.

Personally I don't use "sudo port upgrade outdated". Maybe it's just
me but I usually have at least one port in the list that I don't want
to upgrade, at least not now, because I know it will take a long time.
So I just selectively "sudo port upgrade" individual ports.