How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:54:58 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery at kf8nh.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 16:08 , Peng Yu wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery at kf8nh.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Unless you built Gtk+ with native Aqua support (which I think won't yet
>>> work
>>> with GNOME stuff), you need to install and run Apple's X11.
>>
>> My OS is leopard. Would you please point me where I should download
>> it? And how to install it? Thank you!
>

> Official X11 for Leopard is on your install DVD (run System Update
> afterward).
> Unofficial, but with updates and bugfixes:  http://xquartz.macosforge.net
>
> X11 should have been installed by default on Leopard, actually, but without
> the XQuartz update it won't auto-run; you'll find X11.app in
> /Applications/Utilities.

I started X11.app in /Applications/Utilities. But I still got the same
error as that in my original post. What's the problem?

How to run XQuartz update? Do I need to download X11-2.4.0.dmg and
install it? What is the difference between X11-2.4.0.dmg and X11.app
in /Applications/Utilities?

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.4.0

Regards,
Peng