How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 20:36:36 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 20:12, Peng Yu wrote:
>
>> I deleted 'export DISPLAY=localhost:0' in my ~/.bash_profile. I also
>> installed the xorg-server port and the quartz-wm port, and started
>> /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app. Then I started gnome-terminal. But I
>> got the following error. Would you please let me know how to fix this
>> problem?
>>
>> $ gnome-terminal
>> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-blAgTJ/:0".
>
> FYI, you can ignore the RANDR message.
>

>> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
>> socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
>
> Sounds like org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is not loaded. You should
> load it. It is provided by the dbus port, which should have printed
> instructions for you upon installation advising you how to load it. I
> believe the line it would have printed is:
>

> launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
>

> So run that command (not as sudo).

Here is what I got after running the command that you mentioned.
What's the problem?

$sudo port install dbus
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for dbus
--->  Cleaning dbus
$ launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
launchctl: CFURLWriteDataAndPropertiesToResource(/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist)
failed: -10
$ls /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist