How to clean a failed package to build?

Kyunghoon Lee aeronova at teramail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:48:57 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2009, at 12:40, Kyunghoon Lee wrote:
>
>> I was trying to build pang with a quartz option and it failed because
>> of the option.  I wanted to rebuild pango w/o the quartz option, but
>> port kept using the same variants option.  I tried to clean, but it
>> seems "port clean" works only for successfully installed packages.
>> I'd appreciate it if someone help me clean the unsuccessful install
>> process so that I can build pango as if I'm building it for the first
>> time.  Thank you in adv.
>
> What problem did you experience cleaning pango? "sudo port clean
> pango" cleans the pango work directory and should be all you need.
> Cleaning an already-installed port probably isn't useful most of the
> time, since MacPorts cleans a port automatically after it installs it.
After I failed to build pango, I tried again and get the following message:
Error: Requrested variants "+macosx" do not match original selection
"+macosx+quartz".
Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean pango' or
specify the force option (-f).

Is it safe to use the '-f' option in this case to build pango w/o the
quartz option?