How to clean a failed package to build?

Kyunghoon Lee aeronova at teramail.com
Wed Oct 7 22:19:49 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2009, at 15:48, Kyunghoon Lee wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> What problem did you experience cleaning pango? [snip]
>>
>> After I failed to build pango, I tried again and get the following
>> message:
>> Error: Requrested variants "+macosx" do not match original selection
>> "+macosx+quartz".
>> Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean pango' or
>> specify the force option (-f).
>>
>> Is it safe to use the '-f' option in this case to build pango w/o the
>> quartz option?
>
> No, not really. What happens when you "sudo port clean pango" and then
> try "sudo port install pango" again?

Here's what I got:

$ sudo port clean pango
Password:
--->  Cleaning pango
$ sudo port install pango
--->  Computing dependencies for pango
--->  Fetching pango
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for pango
--->  Extracting pango
Error: To install pango without the quartz variant, cairo must be
installed without the quartz variant.
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: incompatible cairo installation

So I guess I need to uninstall & install cario again w/o quartz, then
try to install pango w/o quartz, right?  BTW, this might be a silly
question, but what is quartz?