Install Error

Peter Hindrichs pth at
Thu Oct 8 20:01:31 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-08, at 22:52 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2009, at 21:50, Peter Hindrichs wrote:
>> OK I found 10.4u SDK and installed it. This is what I get now when
>> I try to do the install:
>> Freedom:~ peterhin$ sudo port install CosmicDebris
>> Password:
>> --->  Computing dependencies for CosmicDebris
>> --->  Building CosmicDebris
>> Error: Target returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
>> local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_CosmicDebris
>> /work/CosmicDebrisSource" && /usr/bin/xcodebuild  -project "Cosmic
>> Debris.xcodeproj" -target "Cosmic Debris"  -configuration
>> Deployment " returned error 1
>> Command output:
>> === BUILD NATIVE TARGET Cosmic Debris OF PROJECT Cosmic Debris WITH
>> CONFIGURATION Deployment ===
>> Check dependencies
>> GCC 4.2 is not compatible with the Mac OS X 10.4 SDK (file main.m)
>> GCC 4.2 is not compatible with the Mac OS X 10.4 SDK (file main.m)
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> Freedom:~ peterhin$
>> Do the last few lines indicate that I need to get an earlier
>> version of Gcc ?
> You already have gcc-4.0 installed, in addition to the gcc-4.2 which
> is now the default. The message indicates this software has not been
> tested on Snow Leopard, clearly. You could try adding the line
> "configure.compiler gcc-4.0" to the portfile, but no guarantee there
> won't be other problems. If you find out how to make it work, please
> let us know so we can update the portfile.
Thanks for the info. This is starting to get way over my head, but I
shall keep at it a little longer.

I did find this note in the Xcode Release notes:
Note: GCC 4.2 cannot be used with the Mac OS X 10.4u SDK. If you want
to build targets using the 10.4u SDK on Xcode 3.2, you must set the
Compiler Version to GCC 4.0
Not sure how to set the compiler version